History of The Library

The current premises represent the fifth location for the BRTK library since its founding. The library had to move repeatedly as a result of the need for more space, the widening range of services and its growing importance in the life of the town and that of the region.


The predecessor of the library, Siófok Town Library was established in 1947, and opened at 2 Sió Street, the building which later served as the premises for the József Beszédes Museum of Water Management.


The library moved to 65 Fő Street in 1956; then in 1967, next address was Number 4 at Emmerich Kálmán Promenade, the building of the former Korona Hotel, later occupied by MAORT (Hungarian American Oil Co.).


The forth move took place in 1976 when the new building of the Siófok District Cultural Centre and Library was inaugurated, to house the books for adults.


The children’s books section remained in the old building, rebuilt after the earthquake in 1985. The children's library moved to the renovated premises at Number 12, Emmerich Kálmán Promenade in May 2004.

The new building was opened on 25 November, 2011, in the heart of the city. The architects for the library building had to face challenges from rapid changes in the world of technology. They had to design a building that would be capable of adapting to a yet to be seen future.